Tuesday, January 19, 2010

84. AJL24

Someone on Twitter told me to blog how I feel about winning second place in the Anugerah Juara Lagu last weekend.

This picture resembles exactly how I felt at the time. It was not made up. It was not planned. It just happened. There I was in my raincoat inspired suede trenchcoat (which i loooved), designed by an unknown but talented fashion student Iejat, whose still in his junior year studying in UiTM. And my Dr Marten boots that people made fun of "Cantik kasut polis tu Yuna!!"... Skipping towards my trophy.

A trophy? What for? Most people had struggled more years than I have in the industry. Most people went through tougher things. Dealt with crappier people. Received nastier comments.

But I guess my struggle was special. Of course, because it was mine. On stage, when Aizat was singing his song Pergi as the finale of an amazing night, my band mates and I exchanged looks and smiles. "How did we get here?" Efry asked me. I couldn't answer! I just smiled back. There was a mutual understanding between the four of us. That that night. Every single struggle. The lies that were said about us. The organizers who still owe us money. The events that provided no audience. The people who were not supportive of us. The hate comments we (still) receive. The time when we had to split 100 bucks for a show. It was all worth it.

We came in second. And losers come second. =)

But that night we were champions, not to AJL, not to the 2billion viewers who watched the show, not to the judges, not to everyone who was in the stadium, not to you readers of my blog, but we were champions to each other. And that's all that matters.

How do I feel? It was the best second placing I've ever gotten in my life.